Tesla Car Account Transfer
Last updated 05-Jul-2023
Tesla cars are increasingly bought and sold privately, this guide shows how quick and easy it is to transfer the car to a differnet Tesla Account via the Tesla app.
This is not the same as the formal ownership transfer which still needs to be done and the process for which varies from country to country.
Pre-requistes before transfering
There are very few pre-requisites but thay are:
- Access to the current Tesla account where the account holder is the primary owner of the car
- Details of the new owners Tesla account email address and name they have registered with Tesla
- Access to the email account that was used to register the car with Tesla.
- The car and both accounts have interent connectivity to update the details (this does not need to be premium connectivity)
- The process can not be reversed, so being happy to transfer the car to the new account!
The process is pretty simple, but like all simple processes where transfering a valuable asset is involved, care should still be taken.
The steps we advise taking are shown in the video above, but are otherwise as follows:
- We would firstly suggest clearing all personal information from the car. The easiest way to do this is probably to do a factory reset which is possible via the Service menu. You will need to enter the Tesla account details and password for the the current holder of the car.
- Once ready to transfer, visit the "Add / Remove products" option in the Tesla app of the existing car holder. You may need to visit the top level of the app to see this option, simply clicking on the head or picture in the top right hand corner should bring this menu up.
- From this menu, change to "Remove" (the default is usually "Add")
- Select the car you want to transfer. If there is more than one car, be careful to select the right one!
- You will be presented with a simple set of questions. These are fairly obvious as to what they mean.
- You will then be prompted with a form to complete with the new Account holders details. These should be entered
- If the new account holder is with you, we would suggest showing them the screen at this point for them to validate the details, or possible taking a screen shot and sending it to the new owner and ask for confirmation.
- Once happy, click next, it will summerise the details again, and you will be asked to confirm yet again. Even after this step, the transfer will not complete.
- An email will be sent to the existing account holder with a 6 digit pin. This pin is only valid for a short period of time, and needs to be entered into the app as requested.
- This is the last point you can abort the transfer. Once the pin is entered, the car will transfer
- Both the old app owner and the new app owner will get emails, and the car generally disappears and reappears in the new account within a minute, depending on connectivity.
And thats it. The new owner now has access to the car.
This is not the same as any legal changes of ownership that may also be required and these differ from country to country. This is simply the steps required to move the car from one tesla account to another.